NY-NJ Chapter Launches

Dear Surfers,

The Atlantic Surfing Federation will be running our first contest, in the Northeast, on Saturday October 15, 2011, in Atlantic City, NJ. The contest will be held prior to the start of the Surfing America Prime event that is running Saturday and Sunday October 15-16. A big thanks goes out to Tom Forkin and the AC Surf Club and the AC Surf School for help in convincing us to come down to their neck of the woods and for helping to put it all together.

For those of you who are not yet familiar with the ASF, the Atlantic Surfing Federation is a non-profit organization committed to promoting and implementing a modern, progressive surfing competition program for all members and ability levels. The ASF seeks to instill discipline, environmental awareness, positive values of fair play, and good sportsmanship in all members, while encouraging and guiding their development in the area of competitive surfing.

The Atlantic Surfing Federation is a 501 (c) (3) tax exempt organization as well as a 509 (a) (2) public charity under the IRS codes and all contributions are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

We are established with Chapters in New York/New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida. As a member of the ASF you are entitled to surf in contests held in ANY of the Chapters, and to earn placement points based on your finish in all Chapters. Invitations to our ASF Championships, tentatively scheduled for October 2012, will we awarded as follows. 25% of the slots in each division will be given to the top surfers in the overall (global) rankings and these surfers will be seeded to the second round, the remaining 75% of the slots will be divided amongst the top ranked surfers in each of the local Chapters. The ASF competition rules can be found at http://www.atlanticsurfing.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Competition_Rules3-26-11.pdf. The ASF will be competing under the same set of rules as Surfing America and the International Surfing Association. Among the things that you will find in these rules are 20 minute/4 man heats. This will lead to a consistency from the local level all the way to the International field of play.

The Atlantic Surfing Federation is a full member organization of Surfing America, the National Governing Body for the sport of surfing in the United States. As a full member organization, the ASF offers a clear path to the Surfing America USA Surfing Championships. This path is through the Prime Series for the Under 18 competitors, and through the ASF competition season for the Adult divisions. The Prime is an “Invitation Only” series of contests for the Youth divisions that leads to qualification for slots to the USA Surfing Championships. To find out more about the ASF please visit our website at www.atlanticsurfing.org . To find out more about Surfing America please visit www.surfingamerica.org.

Surfing America will also be offering the ISA Judging & Officiating Accreditation Course on Friday October 14 at Caesar’s Casino. The exact time and meeting room are yet to be determined. The ISA Judging & Officiating Development Program is the result of 15 years of research and development and is recognized as the most comprehensive judging education program in the world. This program will be led by Erik Krammer, Surfing America’s Judging Director. All judges that complete the ISA Judging & Officiating Accreditation Course are registered on the ISA International Judge’s Register for 1 year and receive newsletters and an official ISA International Judges’ Identification card. There is a $100 fee for this course. If interested please let me know and I will put you in contact with the correct parties.

Please go to http://register.atlanticsurfing.org/ to join the ASF and fill out the attached entry form to join us in Atlantic City, on October 15. We hope to have an online entry available later today. As soon as this is active, a follow up email will be sent. Get your entry in early. The entry deadline is Wednesday 10/12/2011. Feel free to spread the word among your friends.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.


Rick Anthony
Atlantic Surfing Federation
141 Beach 122nd Street
Rockaway Park, NY 11694
917 854-9156 mobile
212 661-2530 work
718 945-3237 home